Skip to main content

Expectations, then...disappointments.


MITIGATING THE HURTS THAT COMES WITH DISAPPOINTMENT.
      
           Friend, welcome again 🥰.
             Sometime  ago, I got a new phone, and as usual, it came with a charger. Because this phone was a higher brand than all those I've used before, coupled with all the rants I heard about  the extra power that comes with follow come chargers😂, I protected this phone's charger with an utmost care. To be honest, left to me, I would not have loved to share this charger with anyone, but normally, as the Nigerians that we are, someone somewhere just had to beg you😔🤦. Sometimes, they could even use it in your absence if kept carelessly. So, somehow I still shared. All the same, I still took very good care of that charger, such that even as I shared, my heart went out with it.
         Then one day...this beloved charger just stopped responding. Just like that. I mean an abrupt end. No warning signals,no symptoms, no real fault on my part. It just gave up on me down there in the middle of the road.
            Where exactly did I get it wrong? If the judgement we're to be based on care, I did so much more for that charger than any other I had ever had. Yet others, even gave warning for sometime, before they finally packed up. Either, they begin to have partial contact, or get loose at their ends at first. This was the last charger that I would have expected this kind of heartbreak from. Not just heartbreak...but with no prior notification.

 
            This is just an example of what plays out in life everyday. You give something your best, yet it comes crashing mercilessly in your face.

Well, it is what it is.

           Life happens. People happen. And in my friend's voice...shit happens!!.

             Even the best, disappoint. No matter your level of care and commitment, most times, we can simply hope, and pray for the best to come.

            To be honest, I really didn't want to bring the rape issue which has been a trend for sometime into this matter, but I can't help but chip this in....that ugly act in Uwa's case, took place in a church. Yeah...the house of God.

             Because the other parties have not been caught, so that we can hear their own side to the story, we are still working based on the evidences laid out to us. One of which is that she was innocent, and did not deserve such treatment. Another being that going to that church to read, she had all sense of security there. If she had any chance to ruminate randomly on what and what could possibly happen to her there, rape and murder would probably be the last she would think of.
            
Well, it did happen....and yes, there....in the church.


That's it. What we get out of life. The list is endless.

           But, you know what, despite all, we still move. Yeah, we keep moving. No  matter how bad the disappointment comes, we really just can't sit there grieving endlessly, without taking any step to reduce our hurts, while yet waiting for death to catch up with us. 

          And, with all of these presentations, life gives you two options. You either find ways to get through it, or get stuck making the same mistakes, and grieving over the same hurts over and over again.

            We would not be bitten twice by the same thing, so we have to find ways to get through it, and reduce our hurts. I assembled the following tips to help mitigate the hurt that come with disappointments. 
  •       Reduce expectations... 
                You are free to expect so much from yourself, or a program, it helps you work hard with a clear cut goal, and also remain focused. Expect so much from God too. You'll see reasons to talk to him everyday.
                But as regards expectations from persons?. Please just quit it. When a promise is not explicitly made to you, can you just stop making the promises in your mind on behalf of that person, and hoping it comes out as you have imagined? The after effects of what expectations cut short can do to a person, is a totally bulky topic we can't go into today. As much as you give off the right attitude, and be nice always, don't always expect the highest from persons. If you can't totally quit the expectations, then reduce it so well, that you don't hear your heart pounding when that "big" person fails to give you something "big".
  • Engage in activities that give you peace of mind.... 
         For example,  If you want to lend money to someone, why not give an amount that won't really be an issue if you don't get it back. Especially for someone you know would not really like to embarrass with the question of "when will you pay me?", and the likes.
             This is just one example. Others abound.
             Friend, in all, your peace of mind is paramount, and if you're not getting it from whatever you're engaging in, you might as well, want to reconsider.
  • Be ever ready to get the worst even from the best:            
               Something  happened sometime ago on a platform I belong to. There's this stuff that persons run from time to time on the platform. It's more like a giveaway. Anybody could come up and decide to sponsor it, and lucky persons would quickly contest, and the winners would claim the prize the sponsor put out. As usual, we always look for ways to be naughty, so sometimes some persons would indicate that they wanted to do, and after persons won at their hand, they'll fail to release the price, and say they were only joking.
               We just had to live with this, and keep competing, while praying that your sponsor doesn't find another story to tell. But as it is with diminishing returns, the vibe for participating was dying gradually. Cruise was now a norm, and persons were no longer interested again. Then one day, someone out of the country indicated interest to sponsor one of the sessions. By default, there is this huge respect we have for foreign numbers, as we saw them as people who had no time for meaningless jokes, plus this person attached the highest amount ever mentioned on that platform. And so, almost everybody keyed in. We all wanted to partake of the prize, and so we did a lot of preparations, and all hopes were high. Then the time came. The contest was carried out, and winners actually emerged. Then time to award the winners, our beloved foreigner refused to release the prize. Though, there were a lot of controversies as to what made him behave in that manner, yet it doesn't erase the fact that our foreigner, from whom we expected the very best, let us down ruthlessly.
      Till date, many of us are still in shock. It was the last outcome we expected, and from the last person. Well, like I said....it did happen.

  • Value Your Uniqueness: It's something you would never find in any one else. And if you value it enough, you could always come through for yourself, and for others, when there is a disappointment. If you do this more often, you hardly have unrealistic expectations.
                              Let me end with this. Grace has the final say almost always, if not always. So, never stop praying. It's not always about your efforts.

              Thank you very much for reading till this point. I value you so much. We are in this together, we'll overcome the hurts from disappointments together. You have any suggestions, comments, or questions? Do leave them in the comment section below. Don't forget to hit the subscribe tab above, so you get the first updates whenever I make a post. Take care, I won't be long. Your favourite writer, Joy💜.     

Comments

Post a Comment

Other posts from this blog

How do you see humble beginnings??

             Frame It!!!....The best days are close already.           One day in my life, a long time after I had left secondary school, I was going through my school box, and lazily looking through all the last set of books I used during secondary school. Then I stumbled upon them. My different Journals and letters. The letters included those that were written to me, and those I failed to give out, due to lack of courage or any other reason. Boom! I sat down there and began to read. I've always loved reminiscence and reading with all my heart. So, I seamlessly spent quite sometime on that spot, reading those stuff, and trust me, I had a swell time. I laughed so hard, and I pinched myself at  different times. I am sure, you can guess the reason by now. Damn!...I felt stupefied and really surprised. For the letters I wrote, I kept on asking no one in particular..."Did I ever draft this?", "Like, Who does this? For those I received, I also asked myself.."Did I

Keys To A Happy Life

                           Let's talk, friend... What really do you plan to use all of those compliments which you've bottled up within yourself to do??. Let me guess...maybe save them all up till you're able to buy a fortune with it? Funny, right??..But this bothers me pretty much, so you have to tell me please. We'll come back to this later though, let us just not begin as enemies.            We would be learning about  keys to a happy life, today. I  garnered my information from a few personal encounters with persons, and my own application to life. Therefore, this list would not be exhaustive, but they're sure effective. Choke with Love:   Have you ever been stuck in a very tight corner with affection that the next air you sought to breathe was freedom? To me, and some others out there, that's one of the best feelings. I understand so well if you do not like it.. I've seen a lot of your type. Though it baffles me at how much I could love something

Negative thoughts and you.

             First it is worry, then it turns to doubt....                Some days ago, I had an issue with someone. It was not a fall out, or anything big actually, just one of these harsh statements by individuals, that pierce through and through, and make you wonder if some things are actually  worth the stress. So, almost immediately after that took place, I began to worry so deeply. I was almost drifting off..., but then I remembered something. Something which made me stop dead in my tracks to depression. My mind went to something, and I realized that I had almost crossed the boundary. I realized I was going to be doubting my abilities soonest, so, like a reflex, I took the necessary actions. In no time, my joy was back, and all of those thoughts discarded😊.          Most of us are familiar with Dunsin Oyekan's song that says..." first it was fragrance, then it turned to fire. My worship is my weapon.."  .How about we rephrase it this way concerning our thought

About this blog.

                      LET'S BEGIN WITH THIS!!            Hi  dear...How have you been?Trust you've been great?         Thank you for agreeing to walk down this path with me.  It's all the reason I'm happy you're here. I mean...who doesn't like company??             That trashed, let's look the way of the blog. What is it all about? Why did I decide to write? For fun, education, information, communication, or what have you?..You can guess all day long, but let me save you the stress. My purpose of owning a blog, cuts across all those purposes I earlier mentioned, and more. Sounds like a brag,right?...Okay, let me cool you down with this...you are the main  reason why I am blogging today. Trust me if you were not there, I wouldn't dare. I'm writing just for you!💝            Let me not spill the whole beans here...we'll do that as we communicate gradually. You'll come back, right? Promise me☺..Alright then, thank you so much. It's 12:

Discipline.

 Hi there. Welcome back!🤗 Trust you have been good? Today, you would be learning something really crucial to your development as a person, and that is the art of discipline. Sincerely and soberly, How high have you been holding up your head in this area? Have you been taking charge of your responsibilities, or have they been making a mess of you? Well, by God's grace, you would stay in charge from today onwards.  _____________________________________________

WE ARE STILL HUMANS.

         Just before you carry out that action..                 The moderator  rolled in the announcements, and this was among. The third meeting in three weeks, was mentioned. Where the pastors would go and discuss redundant stuff that could wait, or be finalized on phone. But as usual, the senior pastor would hear none of that. He actually holds such meetings in high esteem, and sees anyone's failure to come, as disobedience.                Having  that realization hit him once more,and remembering that he was stuck, the junior pastor cried out in my front. Yeah...he blurted out:"It's still the same things we are going there to discuss"... and I'm quite tired and hungry😥. He just wished for a way to escape but there was none. The moderator would not even take his message, not to talk of relaying it to the senior pastor.                 That was when I felt it. I mean, this junior pastor is my friend, and he was not carnal or whatever. Truth be told, if you

Keeping the You alive.

                             Flowers, green grasses, and small clusters everywhere. It's an animal kingdom. A goat meets a fish, and they become friends. They come together, and discover their variances, as regards their way of living, habitat and all. Then one day, the goat begins to tell the fish, that if they must remain friends, the fish has to leave its own habitat, and come stay with the goat on land. What  do you think would happen if the fish, which is cut out to live in water, decides to please her friend the goat, and come to stay on land? Your guess is as good as mine.                In the above illustration, the goat, and the fish were the focus....In today's illustration, you are our focus.                   Your life is made up of dreams, values, beliefs, aspirations. Though some of yours could look like that of someone else, the combination of them all is unique to you only.                 Just like that fish, we all get to meet some points of decision everyday

You are unstoppable.

          This space has been less busy for a while now. So many things happening at the same time. My apologies.            So, what is it you've been going through lately?            Have you been having some hard time, or maybe hitting rough phases, facing obstacles, or meeting bad energies at almost every corner?             Let me share this with you.             Never see reasons to quit yet.             Whatever tunnel it is you are going through, it's just a phase. It will definitely pass. That I'm sure of. It is the exact time I'm clueless about.             Another thing is this, you're never in it alone.  There is hardly any person around who really doesn't have an issue which he/she is battling with. In clearer terms, you're better off than a whole lot of persons. Your case is not the deadliest. A whole lot of others see worse days. For this reason alone, never stop being grateful.            In this aspect, you too can relate. Most times, we all

For today only.

Friend!...Happy new month to you🤗.  Trust you have been good. Well, I am writing to you today about something on my mind.  Do you ever feel like you have gotten past the point of making wrong decisions in a certain area of your life, and then boom, just one day after you have certified yourself, you make a major disastrous decision?  I am with you on this one😩.  Here is the thing. Up until yesterday, I still did things which I am not proud of today. And yes, if you check it out, you will discover it is the same with you. One moment, you think you have a grip over everything, and the next moment, you are losing it all helplessly.  The truth is, you have very limited control. Limited foresight too. So, despite everything, you can only be so careful, you cannot be so certain.  And that is what gives birth to this message: Do not, in a bid to avoid stepping on stones, refuse to walk.  Do not decide not to explore, just because you are scared. Do not leave out moments because you are scar